Beating Inflammationadmin | Wednesday, January 25th, 2012
You can reduce inflammation by focusing on foods that decrease the body’s production of inflammatory compounds, fight harmful free radicals, and boost the immune system.
In general, focus on antioxidant-rich fruits and vegetables; healthful fats, especially omega-3 fatty acids and monounsaturated fats in olive oil; and include pungent foods and spices that have inflammation-fighting effects like turmeric. Some to try are:
1. Wild salmon, flaxseed – an excellent source of Omega 3 fatty acids which are known to successfully combat inflammation in the body.
2. Berries – fight inflammation through phytonutrients – natural agents which confer a high degree of protection. Blueberries, cranberries, raspberries, blackberries
3. Turmeric, ginger – have powerful anti-inflammatory properties.
4. Extra virgin olive oil- is the longevity secret of Mediterranean peoples. Rich in polyphenols and monounsaturated fats, olive oil protects us from the effects of inflammation and many diseases. Never cook extra virgin olive oil over high heat. It will destroy the antioxidants and turn a lovely fat into a bad one.
5. Green tea – is rich in catechins, antioxidant compounds that reduce inflammation. Purchase high-quality tea and learn how to correctly brew it (never boil the water) for maximum health benefits.
For great dishes that boost immunity and tackle inflammation check out my recipes!